August 27, 2006

waiting....

sorry this post is all about me! Mwahahahaha. The layout for round 3.5 was so much fun and nothing like I'd ever done before but I think I'm hooked! We had to use a 'wet' medium and after looking around the house I thought I'd try melting the kid's crayons. After asking for a little bit of advice from Wendy and Dina I figured I had to add something to prevent them from setting too quickly so I found some old furniture bee's wax that I added to the mix. Loved the transparent yet vibrant colours it produced. I used it to paint over a picture and the effect was so cool! I'll definetely be doing that again, even if it did stink out the kitchen. Next time I may have to go and look at an art supply store to see if there's an alternative to my furniture polish though!
After looking through the entries (I love that you can check out the competition with this) to see what I'm up against I am not holding much hope. So many fantastic entries, with truly artistic examples of using a wet art medium. I should know more tomorrow...


and here's a close-up detail that shows the texture this gives:



Otherwise I'm pretty annoyed. My left shoulder is freezing up AGAIN. So painful! Not to mention bl**dy inconvenient as I've got a few things due in the next couple of weeks. So I'm popping anti-flams but going on past experience that's not going to help much. Last time it happened the doctor already said it would probably mean surgery if it happened again. Just give me the cortizone shot first I say because the waiting list for that is probably 8 months long! #$*^% public health system. Okay done whining now. May just have an early night and see my bed at the right side of midnight.

8 Comments:

At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OM FREAKIN GAWD!! What a fantastic idea. I LOVE how you think outside of the box!! This looks nothing short of sensational. Marieke, you are just too good.

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I juts went and had a look. It's between you, the wax drips one (?), the microbeads hair one and the F OFF one. Maybe the last one and the wax drips one are the same? That all sounds like double dutch (haha) but you will know what I mean. You are in with a great chance I think. Good luck.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger lianne said...

Marieke this is amazing. Good luck. I'm sure you'll get thru with this one. It's very very cool.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Aida Haron, Singapore said...

Wooooo - hoooooooo .....!!! So excited seeing your name on the list ! This is ART, not scrapping !

Aida

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Wow - amazing effect!That is one gorgeous layout. Good luck with the comp :-)

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Marieke that is awesome! Love how you are coming out with some outstanding layouts. LOve the wax cryon idea. Looks great close up. Hope your shoulder is feeling better.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi marieke,

Love what you did here. The technique you used here is called 'encaustic' if you search it on the internet you may find other ideas. A really good book for techniques is 'Art Effects" by jean Drysdale Green if you can get a copy from your locAL LIBRARY IT IS WELL WORTH A LOOK.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

oops, forgot to say. This is a gorgeous layout, just love the texture. It is so good to see other scrappers using art techniques on their layouts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home